Last night’s dinner was inspired by one of those nights that you look at what’s left in the ‘fridge, just throw it together, and hope for the best. We call it tempting fate. It’s impetuous, fun, crazy, and a little worrisome, when you’re not quite sure if the flavor combinations you are throwing together will come out like you imagined. After looking through the pantry, the ‘fridge, the freezer, and the spice rack, I felt sort of like the old TV show MacGyver. Where he would take a shoestring and a piece of bubble gum and make a bomb to get out of some sticky plot. If you have never seen it, you can check it out here.
What I found were an assortment of items that I thought combined would make an enticing dinner, and, let me tell you, it worked wonderfully!
Blackened Chicken and Shrimp Pita Nachos with Avocado Ranch
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
Teaspoon Garlic Powder
Teaspoon Onion Powder
And a dash of the following
Fresh-Cracked Black Pepper
Additional Ingredients for 2 people
1 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
1 Pound of Shrimp, shelled, deveined, and tailless
3 Wheat Pitas
1 Cup Shredded Colby Jack & Cheddar Cheese
3 Green Onions, chopped
Following the directions on 1 package of Ranch dressing mix
Add 1 Avocado and blend until smooth
*If it’s too thick, you can thin with a little milk to desired consistency.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet and turn to medium high heat.
3. Mix all blackened spice ingredients together.
4. Heavily coat both sides of the chicken breast and shrimp.
5. Once oil is just about to smoke, add the chicken breast .
6. Cook for approximately 3 minutes on each side.
7. Add shrimp and put in preheated oven for 10 minutes until chicken and shrimp are fully cooked.
8. Meanwhile, cut each pita in half, then half again and half again, forming small triangles and place on a non-greased cookie sheet.
9. Place in oven the last 3 minutes with the chicken and shrimp to crisp up.
10. Remove all items from oven and set to broil.
11. Chop chicken into small pieces.
12. Arrange pitas on serving plates 1.5 pitas per person and sprinkle with a of the cheese.
13. Add chicken and shrimp, and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top
14. Place under broiler for 1 minute until cheese is melted.
15. Add green onions and dressing and enjoy.
Kids will love this too